11/21/13

Journey

Karaoke is like Fight Club. All week long, that guy on stage is a cashier at Publix. But for a few moments on Thursday night, he's a fucking rock star. He's singing his hit, and the audience knows every word.

Me, I love karaoke. Bad, good, country, rock, hipsters, or rednecks, I'm down. As long as people are willing to grab that microphone and go for the gusto, I stand ready to cheer them on. I go every week with a crew and almost never perform. I am strictly there to drink beer, holler, clap, and sing along from my seat. It's a crazy thing that in this day of polished, autotuned perfection, adult are still eager to get up in front of a crowd and give it a try. Some of them, even sober.

It's something that I assume comes from back around the beginning of people being people, taking turns around the fire to entertain or inform the others. We find nothing so amusing as each other.

3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Amen and that is the damn truth.

Verdant Earl said...

Did karaoke a few weeks back with a bunch of friends at a joint in NYC. We closed out the night with a group sing-along of The Weight. Gia told me that I became 70's Levon Helm for a few minutes there. Best compliment she's ever given me. :)

That Hank said...

See? The magic power of karaoke.