11/17/10

In Which I Think of Rearranging My Home

I live in a very small apartment. I have a living room, a bedroom, a smidgen of a kitchen, a dab of a bathroom, an afterthought of a closet. All told, I lay claim to about 550 square feet. I've been here almost 7 years.

I've always been fascinated by small living spaces. Gypsy carts, sailboats, treehouses, airstream trailers. A place for everything and everything in its place. I've got everything tetrised into this place like you wouldn't believe. Folding chairs stuck in corners for when guests come over. Pans stored in the oven. My computer on a rolling bass amp so it can be tucked behind my falling-apart big chair when it's not in use. A fold out couch the size of a small love seat. Bookcases on every wall possible. Zines, hats, and other goodies hanging from the ceiling.

I love my little place, even with all the clutter. But all of a sudden I am so fuckin bored with how it's set up. The time has come to shuffle my belongings, clear out what I don't need, kick the dust off of everything and see where it settles. I think tonight I'll start with the kitchen. That's got to be the easiest room to break down and rebuild, right?

11 comments:

Verdant Earl said...

Did you ever see that apartment in Japan - supposedly the most efficient use of space ever produced? He has about 1/2 your square footage and, with moving walls, bookcases, etc.., he can adjust to room to a couple of dozen different layouts. Pretty cool.

I dig small places too.

Ms. Moon said...

This could take awhile. Do you have many plastic bags?

6279 said...

FIRST thing I thought about reading this post is AMSTERDAM where apartments are in short supply and people convert all sorts of boats into houseboats and live, permanently anchored, in the canals. The city put a limit on the total number of houseboats allowable within the city. Google it - FASCINATING pix. I took a guided tour of the canals when I was in AMsterdam and my favorite thing was the amazing variety of houseboats...
HUGS
M

All This Trouble... said...

Your Mama's comment made me laugh!

I wish you all the luck in your decor rearrangements! I'll wait here quietly until you emerge from a place that is so fresh and so clean, free of gator belts and patty melts....

That Hank said...

BE: I check out cool little space stuff like that all the time, but I don't know if I have seen that exact one. I always wish I could add in sliding walls and loft beds and shit, but I have to leave my little 1930 cottage as is. Damn it.

Mama: so many plastic bags! And I'm having a stuff swap Sunday. Everybody brings their excess stuff and we all take what we want then haul the rest of the thrift store. That might help with some of it.

Mary: I actually dated a girl who was really into the idea of going there and renting a houseboat for a week. They honestly don't cost that much if you shop around, and they look really cool. Plus, she was a major pothead, so there you go.

ATT: I wish I had a gator belt.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Your place sounds great to me. Good luck with the shuffle. Steph is also interested in small living spaces.

Love you, bro.

That Hank said...

I'll post pics as I go. I need to figure out a way to both store and show off my typewriters.

6279 said...

How many typewriters do you have?

Could you do a bricks & boards stacker, alternating sizes as you go from the floor up, and maybe fill in spaces with little stuff like books or a jar or pens or ???

Juancho said...

You my friend, are a good candidate for a loft. Go two stories!

May said...

Glarg, I love small spaces too, but they are more difficult to rearrange. As for typewriters, I think they would look really cool on a shelf or shelves above your table in the "dining room". Maybe one long shelf, or each one to its own little shelf at different heights, like you would hang pictures. Call Dad. He can hang stuff like nobody's business.
If you need help playing tetris, call me. I love that shit. I will also clean, but you have to provide the party ice.

That Hank said...

See, I was thinking I would pick your brains for this. I'll provide diet orange soda and publix ice if you help me figure it out.