12/17/07

Dress in Your Best

I'm throwing the New Year's Eve party this year for my group of friends. We've had a lot of keg beer, burgers on the grill, sweatshirts or cut offs get togethers lately, so I'm setting up the NYE shindig as a dress up event. A little sham champagne, some finger foods (as I told my chef friend: I want something with bacon and something with pastry), and everybody's best clothes.

It's that last one that cracks me up. I don't know why, but I never fail to be entertained by what people think of as their "best clothes." I can tell you now that at least one guy will turn up looking like a mafia don, a couple of dudes will have on snazzy hipster suits, one or two of my friends will have on real Fred Perry polos (those things ain't cheap, you know) and clean bluejeans, the gals will be evenly split between heels and no heels (which will show up in who decides to go around back to the bonfire and who doesn't want to get stuck in the lawn), Tommy will show up in a lady's blouse and more intense eye makeup than Cap'n Jack Sparrow, the punk rockers will put on their very best band tshirts, and I, at least, will polish my boots.

You should see what happens when we all get invited to church.

6 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

You are a colorful bunch with your own style. Indeed!
Church?
Glad to see you're putting a few words down to entertain us with.
I, for one, appreciate that.

That Hank said...

Let's just say it wasn't hard to pick us out of the crowd at Liam's Christening at St. John's.

Jon said...

I polish my boots for formal occasions as well. Doc Martens are great for any event.

That Hank said...

The quality of Docs doesn't strike me as the best these days, so I'm a Grinders boot guy, but yeah - same exact concept. Honestly, I only own two pairs of shoes, and the others are some ratty old vans.

Juancho said...

Docs are indeed cheap imitations of their former glory. If only I knew about these "Grinders" before I bought some.

That Hank said...

I've been wearing the same pair pretty much daily for the past 5 years, and they're still in decent shape.