7/2/07

New Boss, Same as the Old Boss

If you follow the local music scene at all, you probably know that The Beta Bar changed hands recently. That's happened quite a few times since Darth Vader's Church played the first show at the old The Cow Haus (because, really, a name change does not a new venue make). Each time, we worry that it'll all go bad. The new owners will sell it out, render it unrecognizable, run it into the ground, and then where will we be? Sweating our asses off in a shed space or knocking over tables at St. Mike's.

But in this case, it looks like same old same old, which is just the way I like it. I hear they hope to get the sound a little better (heck, by the time most bands go on, I'm drunk enough that little details in quality don't bother me much). One major complaint: they took the whorehouse lamps, those historical artifacts from the Cow Haus, off the bar and put in some sort of filmy, fabric, overhead, diffused, candle-store lighting. Dark as a dungeon in there! And heck, if that's the only complaint I wind up having about the new owners, I'd say the Tally music scene is still in good shape.

No comments: