6/26/08

boom and crash

Sometimes we get reminded that Tallahassee has a rainy season. Last night, the storm rolled in and smashed down on top of us. On the way home from work, I took refuge in a church parking lot, reading a Carl Hiaasen novel for a half hour while the deluge hid the road and hail pinged off my roof. By dark, lightning flashed through the clouds every few seconds. My friend said, "maybe it's not a storm, maybe its an attack." I unplugged my tv, turned off all my lights, and pulled a chair up in front of my open door. The wind slung tiny drops of water through the screen at me, and I swear I could feel electricity tingling on my skin. As the night wore on and the weather kept raging, Monroe Street turned into a river. Cars went boating by, creating enough wave to body surf into the gutters. I dozed off like that between the biggest crashes, and I dreamed only in sound.

4 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Awesome post.

That Hank said...

High praise indeed. Hey, what's up for pop's boithday?

Verdant Earl said...

One of my favorite activities is to watch a really violent thunderstorm on a late afternoon. Thankfully the t-storms in my neck of the wood rarely result in giant hail and/or tornadoes.

I think I would look at a t-storm differently if I lived in Iowa, but I love them here.

That Hank said...

Well, down here we get hurricanes and such, but seldom just amazing lightning storms like last night. I haven't seen anything like it in years.